Quantum Computing News
- If You Think the Quantum Race is Only Between the U.S. and China, Think Again January 23, 2021There have recently been a number articles in the mainstream press that would lead one to the conclusion that the quantum race is limited to the U.S. versus China. (See here, here, and here). These articles are ignoring that tremendous impact that Europe will have in the development and implementation of quantum technologies. To start, […]
- Oxford Instruments Announces Two Dilution Refrigerator Design Wins January 22, 2021In a pair of announcements, Oxford Instruments NanoScience has disclosed two new customers for its Proteox dilution refrigerator in the UK. The first is with Oxford Quantum Circuit (OQC) which is using the fridge for its superconducting quantum computer based upon OQC's 3D Coaxmon qubits. OQC recently opened up its own quantum lab and plans […]
- IonQ Partners with South Korea’s Quantum Information Research Support Center January 22, 2021The Quantum Information Research Support Center or Q-Center was established in August 2020 by the South Korean government and located at Sungkyunkwan University (SKKU) in Seoul. As part of the three year partnership, IonQ's ion trap computers will be made available to Korean researchers and students to learn, develop, and deploy quantum applications. For more information […]
- Sufficiently amusing that I had no choice January 22, 2021BREAKING: President Biden signs executive order banning people from saying “Quantum computers solve problems by just trying all possible solutions in parallel” pic.twitter.com/zeAZvmKA1T— Olivia Lanes (@Liv_Lanes) January 21, 2021https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js
- India’s Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) Partners with AWS To Establish a Quantum Computing Application Lab January 21, 2021The MeitY Quantum Computing Applications Lab will provide quantum computing as a service to government ministries and departments, researchers, scientists, academia, and developers, to enable advances in areas such as manufacturing, healthcare, agriculture, and aerospace engineering. In addition to providing access to the Amazon Braket quantum computing service, AWS will provide technical and programmatic support […]
- India’s Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) Partners with AWS To Establish a Quantum Computing Application January 21, 2021The MeitY Quantum Computing Applications Lab will provide quantum computing as a service to government ministries and departments, researchers, scientists, academia, and developers, to enable advances in areas such as manufacturing, healthcare, agriculture, and aerospace engineering. In addition to providing access to the Amazon Braket quantum computing service, AWS will provide technical and programmatic support […]
- France Plans to Invest 1.8 Billion Euros ($2.19B USD) in Quantum Technologies January 21, 2021In a plan presented today by French President Emmanuel Macron, this investment would cover five years of research and development and come from three sources. The French government would increase its annual quantum funding level from €60M to about €200M to bring their share for the period to €1050M, €200M would come from the European […]
- Researchers improve data readout by using 'quantum entanglement' January 21, 2021Researchers say they have been able to greatly improve the readout of data from digital memories - thanks to a phenomenon known as 'quantum entanglement'.
- Innovations through hair-thin optical fibers January 21, 2021Scientists have built hair-thin optical fiber filters in a very simple way. They are not only extremely compact and stable, but also color-tunable. This means they can be used in quantum technology and as sensors for temperature or for detecting atmospheric gases.
- Seminal quantum error correction paper included in Physical Review A Milestones List January 21, 2021Thursday, January 21, 2021 A research paper published in 2012 by Matteo Mariantoni, faculty member at the Institute for Quantum Computing and in the University of Waterloo Department of Physics and Astronomy, appeared on the Physical Review A 50th Annive
- A day to celebrate January 20, 2021The reason I’m celebrating is presumably obvious to all: today is my daughter Lily’s 8th birthday! (She had a tiny Star Wars-themed party, dressed in her Rey costume.) A second reason I’m celebrating yesterday: I began teaching (via Zoom, of course) the latest iteration of my graduate course on Quantum Complexity Theory! A third reason: […]
- Qureca Introduces an Online “Quantum for Everyone” Course January 20, 2021Qureca's new course is specifically targeted for non-technical business professionals who want to better understand quantum technology so they can build a quantum strategy and find opportunities where it might be applied in their own organization. The course consists of four online lessons which the learner can go through at their own pace. These include: […]
- Light-controlled Higgs modes found in superconductors; potential sensor, computing uses January 20, 2021Researchers have discovered a short-lived form of the famous Higgs boson -- subject of a groundbreaking search at the Large Hadron Collider -- within an iron-based superconductor. This Higgs mode can be accessed and controlled by laser light flashing on the superconductor at trillions of pulses per second.
- One-dimensional quantum nanowires fertile ground for Majorana zero modes January 19, 2021One-dimensional quantum 'nanowires' - which have length, but no width or height - provide a unique environment for the formation and detection of a quasiparticle known as a Majorana zero mode, which are their own antimatter particle. A new advance in detection of these exotic quasiparticles has potential applications in fault-resistant topological quantum computers, and […]
- Transforming quantum computing’s promise into practice January 19, 2021Electrical engineer William Oliver develops technology to enable reliable quantum computing at scale.
- Taking qubits to the next level January 18, 2021Monday, January 18, 2021 Researchers have implemented a gate used in important quantum algorithms in one step on a three-level quantum system—a qutrit—for the first time.
- Bavarian Government Planning a €300 Million ($362M USD) Investment to Establish a Munich Quantum Valley January 17, 2021The German Free State of Bavaria will work with the Bavarian Academy of Sciences and Humanities, the Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft, the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, the Max-Planck-Gesellschaft and the Technical University of Munich to perform research, development, and education and training in quantum science and technology. Of the €300 million, they plan on spending €120 million ($145M USD) […]
- Betamax versus VHS; QKD versus PQC January 16, 2021It is quite often that two or more technical solutions are created to solve a problem and this can result in standards and format wars to see which one (or both) will survive. One of the classical cases in technology marketing often taught in business schools is the videotape format war in the late 1970’s […]
- Dutch Quantum Computing Startups Form IMPAQT Consortium January 15, 2021The consortium was formed so that independent companies working on different parts of the stack can collaborate to ensure that different building blocks of a quantum computer can interface smoothly. This will allow quantum computer manufacturers to easily integrate subsystems. Members of the consortium include Orange QS, an integrated quantum system provider, Qblox, a quantum […]
- Origin Quantum Secures Over 100 Million Yuan ($15.4M USD) in Series A Funding January 15, 2021The round was led by China Internet Investment Fund with additional participating from Guoxin Fund, CICC Qizhi, Chengdu Industrial Investment, CCB International, Zhongke Yucheng, Zhongtian Fortune, and Pangu Turing. Origin Quantum, established in September 2017 and based in Heifei, China, is developing quantum computers based upon both superconducting and silicon dot technology. A 6 qubit […]
List of sources
Quantum Computers News — ScienceDaily https://www.sciencedaily.com/rss/…/quantum_computers.xml
MIT News – Quantum computing https://news.mit.edu/rss/topic/quantum-computing
Institute for Quantum Computing https://uwaterloo.ca/…/news.xml
quantum computing – News http://news.fnal.gov/tag/quantum-computing/feed/
Quantum Computing Report https://quantumcomputingreport.com/feed/
- Scott Aaronson https://www.scottaaronson.com/blog/?feed=rss2
- Quantum World Association https://medium.com/feed/@quantum_wa